Wow what a weekend. My Nanny fell on Thursday and was taking to the ER where they checked her out and sent her home even though she had a fever. All day Friday my Mama said things were just not right, she was so upset that Nanny just was not trying. On Friday night they took her back to the ER where the same Dr saw her and really fussed at my Mama for bringing her back. He was saying it was her medicines and had my Mama thinking she had done something wrong. Finally another Dr came in and found pneumonia and something to do with her bowels that I do not know how to spell. They took her straight to ICU. On Saturday I told Brittney she was in the hospital and she just cried out "She is not going to die to, is she?" Saturday afternoon she seemed to be resting and I was planning on seeing her Sunday. Sunday AM my Mama called to say they wanted to put a picc line in and with in 15 minutes of her calling about that she called to say Nanny had passed away at 4:30am.
Nothing had been said at the house and Brittney got up crying that she wanted to go see her Nanny. I told her it was the middle of the night and she needed to go back to bed. Mike wanted to take the kids to Gaga's so he could go with me to the hospital but I wanted to delay that as long as possible b/c they have been through so much these past twelve weeks. So Brent and I went on to the hospital where we met Mama & Daddy, Greg & Jane, Kyle and Timmy.
When we got home and finally told the little ones it was hard. During the course of the last two days it seems I have had more questions this time. Blaine was worried how she could be alive in heaven b/c she is dead. He then proceeded to show me what dead was by climbing on his bed, laying straight back and folding his hand over himself and just laying there. So we had to talk and the only way I knew how to explain it to him was that we have two bodies and the second perfect body comes out of the body left here and goes to heaven. Then Brittney wanted to know why Nanny died because she always gets better and then comes to Grammy's to walk around. I explained that her heart just stopped beating. Blaine then asked couldn't her heart just start beating again. Which was followed by did she take her car with her?
My favorite part was them talking about how she would see "Pa" because my kids know all about my Pa. They were talking about how she would tell him about them. Brittney said she would tell him how she loved to sing. Blaine was naming off everyone she would be telling him about. They were discussing how Nanny's hair would look in heaven. Brittney then concluded for them that it would be in a pretty ponytail like she wears hers.
That night was hard because as we said our prayers Brittney was crying really hard and then saying she was a baby for crying. Blaine then asked me did I go see Nanny after she died? I told him yes. Then he started to cry and said "You did not even wake me up to take me with you."
The last two days the kids have had a wonderful time playing at Nanny's house. I can not quite put my finger on what is so special about that house to me other than it was Nanny's. Although I know I can remember how much fun I had just playing at her house and I did not even have any kids around to play with. It was like the house in itself was magical.
We have been surrounded by family and friends and it has been great and the food is overwhelming. How about coming to eat with us?
Doris Vance Robertson, 76, of Kernersville departed this life on Sunday, September 7, 2008 at Forsyth Medical Center to be with her Lord and loved ones. She was born October 1, 1931 to Myrtle Kerner and Homer B. Vance. In addition to her parents she was preceded in death by her husband Clyde F. Robertson and one brother H. Blaine Vance. Surviving are her children, daughter Kay Campbell (Bobby) and sons Greg Robertson (Jane) and Timmy Robertson (Sue) all of Kernersville; one Dear brother John Vance (Jewel) of Kernersville; five grandchildren Shay Gauldin (Mike), Robby Campbell, Brandon and Kyle Robertson, and Celena Stanley; four great grandchildren Brittney, Brent, and Blaine Gauldin and Kirstin Stanley; her beloved cat Mickey. Several loved nieces and nephews also survive and two very special friends Walter James and Dott Tilley. The family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 9, at Hayworth-Miller-Cain Funeral Home, Kernersville and at other times at Doris' s Home. A funeral service will be conducted 11 a.m. Wednesday at Kernersville Moravian Historical Chapel with the Rev. Don Winters officiating. Burial will follow in the church graveyard. Online condolences may be made at www.hayworth-miller.com
We are glad you stopped by!
Leave us a note to let us know how you are!!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dearest Shay, you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Children are so resilient and bounce back- unlike us. I am so glad your Nanny's home is a magical place with wonderful memories. Please let your mom know I love her and am thinking about her. Love you. Lois
Post a Comment